Friday, November 04, 2005

Christiane Amanpour, keynote address, 2000

Yes I have often wondered why I …why we … do it? After a few seconds the answer used to come easily: because it matters, because the world will care once they see our stories … because if we the storytellers don't do this, then the bad guys will win. We do it because we are committed, because we are believers. One thing I knew for certain … I never could have sustained a relationship while I worked that hard, or was that driven by the story …

Indeed in the full flush of journalistic conviction I once told an interviewer that of course I would never get married. And I definitely would never have children. If you have a child, I said, you have a responsibility to at least stay alive.

That was seven years ago. I have been married two years and I have a five-month-old son.

[ellipses in the original]