Saturday, October 21, 2006

Paul Desmond, Various hilarities

[Paul Desmond played alto with Brubeck and is/was famous for his wit.]

"I was unfashionable before anyone knew who I was."

"I think I had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to sound like a dry martini."

Of Vogue fashion models, he said, "Sometimes they go around with guys who are scuffling -- for a while. But usually they end up marrying some cat with a factory. This is the way the world ends, not with a whim but a banker."

"Sometimes I get the feeling that there are orgies going on all over new
York City, and somebody says, `Let's call Desmond,' and somebody else says,
'Why bother? He's probably home reading the Encyclopedia Britannica.'"

His response to the annoying banality of an interviewer, "You're beginning to sound like a cross between David Frost and David Susskind, and that is a cross I cannot bear."