Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Thorne Anderson, Photographer

I don't know many people who do the work that I do that like the term, war correspondent. From an outsiders point of view that's what I do, but for me, my work is not all about war. ... It's really about what life is like at the Frontiers of American foreign policy. Unfortunately that means it's a war book in today's time, but really I try to report on the human condition. I'm not so interested in just following the heat of battle, in fact I really hate it. I'm not sure what it means to be an adrenaline junkie. I get in very tense situations where I'm been flooded with adrenaline. It can be very dangerous under gun-fire. I've been attacked by crowds of angry people. There's a lot of times when you're facing flight or fight. I don't like it, I actually hate it, I prefer to be calm and collected and observe what's going on around me. When I hear people talk about American Foreign policy in easy and highly sanitised terms, I feel privileged to have a perspective that allows me to cut through that bullshit.